BATATA DOCE FRITA (SWEET POTATO FRIES)
A lot of people have asked me what type of foods I ate to lose weight. I have a varied mixed healthy diet and eat home cooked nutritious meals such as chicken curry, vegetable chilli, pasta dishes, salmon and a lot of rice. One of my favourite meals is homemade burger in a GF bun with sweet potato fries. I never thought I would like sweet potatoes as fries but they are delicious. We food shop for staples once per month then buy bread, fruit and veg from the delivery vans or visit the local village shops: butchers, greengrocers etc. The markets are really good and hopefully will reopen in the near future.
Here is my easy recipe for sweet potato fries. I like to batch cook and freeze a huge amount for the whole month or more as it saves me time and mess. It’s my own recipe so feel free to adapt it especially with the spices. I like my fries with the skins on but you can peel the skins if you prefer.
4 large sweet potatoes
Spices: Garlic powder, Paprika, Sweet chilli, Salt and Pepper
- Wash/scrub the potatoes in warm water leaving the skin on.
- Slice the potatoes into chip size, I like chunky ones.
- Boil the Potato slices for 5-10 minutes. Only needs 5 if you start with boiling water.
- Drain and disregard the water then blanch the chips into bowls of cold water which stops the cooking process. I add ice cubes to the cold water, then leave for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes place the chips onto a clean tea towel and paper napkins/serviettes, pat dry.
- Once dry add your favourite spices and bag up into individual portions using freezer bags.
- Place in the freezer.
- When you want to serve the sweet potato fries you can get them out of the freezer and place them directly onto a baking sheet. I use baking parchment paper to prevent sticking as I don’t use any oil.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at temp 170 Celsius (fan oven) for 30 minutes or until cooked.
The end result
This is what the fries look like once taken from the freezer and cooked in the oven. They are absolutely delicious with a good steak, onions and salad. My mouth is watering now (ha ha).
Growing our own slips
We love sweet potatoes so much we are growing our own sweet potato slips so we have a good organic supply fresh from our garden.